Friday, January 14, 2011

Anniversary Dinner!!!

Well today is our fifth wedding anniversary!!!  I love my husband!  Five years ago we were with all of our family and friends eating and dancing the night away.  We can't dance so it was mostly cheesy stuff like the 'chicken dance' and 'hokey pokey' but we had a blast! :-)  Then we set off on the greatest adventure and began our lives together!  I couldn't ask for a better husband or daddy for my kids!  We have been so blessed.  I can't wait to see what else God has in store for us and I pray that we will have many, many years together!

In honor of our Anniversary (and Friday!), I decided to make our special dinner!  The original plan was to have raw pizza but I have been really wanting to eat the eggplant/artichoke dish that I didn't quite get to earlier in the week!  I am super excited about this recipe because I loooooove artichokes and this is the first recipe that I have completely conjured up all on my own!  :-) 
Baked Chickpea Breaded Eggplant with Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke:
1 bag frozen artichoke hearts (Trader Joe's)
4Tbs olive oil
2Tbs raw apple cider vinegar
1Tbs chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice from half a lemon

*Preheat oven to 400.  Place artichokes in a collander and run under hot water to thaw.  Place in a bowl with oil, vinegar, parsley, lemon and garlic.  Toss.  Set aside.

1 small eggplant, sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
2-3 tsp tamari
juice from half a lemon

3/4 cup chickpea flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbs chopped chives
(sliced red bell pepper- set aside)

*Mix the dressing, tamari, and lemon juice in a shallow dish.  Combine Chickpea flour, chives and sea salt in separate dish.  Dip eggplant slices in dressing then again in flour mixture, making sure to coat both sides!  Place on baking sheet.  Then spread marinated artichokes in separate 13x9 baking dish.

coated eggplant slices


marinated artichoke hearts

Place both pans in preheated oven for 30 minutes.  After 15 minutes, turn eggplant slices and add sliced red bell pepper to baking sheet.  Return to oven for remaining 15 minutes.

FEAST! 
This was so delicious and super easy!  I like that in a recipe!  Kyle had his eggplant with some ketchup which he said tasted like fried green tomatoes.  I had mine as pictured and it was so good!  The eggplant slices were nice and salty, the artichokes were tangy and the peppers were sweet!  It really worked out quite well!  We eat all day long so this filled us up, but if you are still hungry a nice big salad would go great with this dish.

Please let me know if you decide to try this recipe!

What is your favorite wedding dance?

3 comments:

  1. ok i think im good to comment now....we'll see....so my favorite wedding dance...that one where "everybody clap your hands" i cant do it but i love the song and to watch everyone do it! great blog jess...i love the way you write...super talented my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that one too, I of course can't do it either but it's fun to watch! Thank you very much!!!!!!! It's fun getting all of these things out of my head and sharing it with everyone! I hope I don't get sick of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attempting this tonight. Oh, and the Kale chips. I'll let you know how they turn out and if I can convince Darren to eat any of it!

    ReplyDelete