Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Daily Grind

Good morning!!!  I thought it would be nice to do a post about what I (we) eat throughout the day.  *Disclaimer:  I am in no way a physician.  Please consult your doctor before making any major dietary changes/decisions.  Sorry, had to put that in there!  I am not a doctor but I do know my body very well.  I am very sensitive to it which can be both a curse and a blessing, but in this case it is most certainly a blessing!  We have recently discovered what I believe to be the root of my medical problems and what is keeping our kids in digestive distress!  The culprit = Gluten!  I am still researching a lot about this but we have cut out as much as we know how and it is already helping!  Part of my problems have resulted from long term gluten intolerance and damage to my intestines.  I can't absorb all of the important nutrients that my body needs because of this damage and this has given me some significant deficiencies.  Thankfully this damage is repairable but it does take some time and effort.  So.......because I am sick and tired of being sick and tired (haha) I have decided to help my body along by increasing my intake of nutrient rich foods in their most natural and absorbable state and because I am breastfeeding I need a LOT of food!  Here it is folks!
Left to right:  Green juice, green smoothie, carrot juice
In the morning I will have a giant green juice (usually double what is pictured) and then a green smoothie.  Yes those are the cups from an off-brand bullet!  They are not pretty but they hold roughly 16 oz which I looooove about them!  They are also freezable!  So anyway, I will then have at least 16 oz of carrot juice.  Carrot juice is awesome!  It is very healing and I have felt sooooo much better since I started upping my intake.  I will have another 8 to 16 oz in the early evening as well.  I feel much better if I can get at least 24oz of carrot juice in a day.  I don't know how long this will last but I expect I will feel when I no longer need that quantity of juice!  If you are interested in getting started with juicing, I recommend the book 'The Juicing Bible'  It is a really great reference for how-to's on juicing and I love the section in the back that lists many fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices and their nutritional content! Green smoothies are also really easy so if you don't have a juicer.....no worries!  Just make your favorite smoothie and then fill the blender up with your choice of greens and blend until smooth! 

This is Kyle's morning:


green smoothie to-go, grapes and a salad for lunch, he also took raw almonds and an avocado for snack purposes!



The juice and smoothies will usually get me through until nap time and then I will continue to eat and eat and eat!  I am trying to stick to the rules of food combining for the most part, at least until I am completely gluten detoxified!  That means it's pretty much juices and smoothies in the morning with the carrot (veggie) juice being the last of that series.  Then my meals continue to get a little heavier throughout the day, the heaviest is at dinner where I will allow myself something cooked.  I have found that, for me, eating cooked foods before dinner is bad news.  I just feel terrible and some of my muscular symptoms (pain, twitching, weakness) and migraines come back.  Those aren't symptoms I like to have so I stick to my rules for now!  


After my juices/smoothies I will eat these wonderful items!  The nut butter is a special treat I picked up on my solo grocery excursion yesterday!  It definitely isn't something I always have because of cost and the nuts are roasted but it is YUM!

Recently I have been looking forward to dinner more than usual!  I think it is because it is so cold.  I dislike cold weather and it always makes me want foods like chili, pasta and macaroni and cheese.  Comfort foods always seem like a wintery thing ~ not that we should be going to food for comfort but that is another post entirely!  After the above pictured foods I will drink my second carrot juice or green smoothie and have some other random snackage such as a Lara Bar, raw nuts or other things we have prepared for the week's snacking!  Then it's supper time!  Last night was one of those 'comfort food' nights and we had macaroni and cheese! (cheez in the veg world!)  WHAT?  That's right!  You can have vegan, gluten free, high raw mac n cheez!  Even if you are not a vegan, hig raw enthusiast you should try this recipe....it is fantastical!  No it isn't a dead ringer for the original but in my opinion (and Kyle's, he loooves it!) it is so much better! 


This is my favorite gluten free pasta!  It has a texture closes to other gluten containing pastas and a really great flavor!  Some of the other rice pastas, in my opinion, have a sweeter taste and though they are tasty, I prefer the heartiness of this pasta!  (Is heartiness even a word?  Well, it is now!)  To the left is the salready made sauce.  I changed the original cheez recipes to make it raw!
Our recipe
1 cup raw cashews (you could soak them first if you want)
1 cup water
1/4 of one yellow, red or orange bell pepper
1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
2 heaping Tbs nutritional yeast
1/2-1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
* Blend it all up until smooth and creamy, which may take some stopping and scraping if you don't have a high speed blender (which I don't!)  Then add to your cooked and warm pasta!  You can also use this sauce for just about anything you would normally use a cheese sauce.  It will be mixed with a tad more water to make a yummy salad dressing for me later!  Possibilities are endless!  LOVE this recipe!

Hope you enjoyed today's post and I really hope you try this fabulous cheezy sauce!  Have a fantastic day!

What are your favorite comfort foods?  How do you make them healthier?


5 comments:

  1. How much sauce the recipe make? Is it freezable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sorry! The kids needed me and I was going to fast! lol It makes a little over 2 cups and is totally freezable! To keep it 'raw' when thawing just place it in a dish of hot water and change the water until it's melty again or dethaw in fridge! Enough sauce for the entire box of pasta with plenty leftover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To save even more time for a future supper, you could partially cook your box of pasta and make the sauce with an added cup of water (you may also want to add more seasoning), pour all of that into a casserole dish and freeze. When you thaw it out you can bake it at 350 until it is heated through and the pasta soaks up a lot of the sauce! probably about 25 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On DeBoles pasta- Sign up for emails from Hain Celestial, if you don't already- They occasionally offer coupons for $1 their GF product, including these pastas! Glad to finally have a moment to check out your new blog! LOVE IT. You've inspired me to maybe post our new year's goals next time I have a few minutes online :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Megan. I'll check that out and yes, you need anew post! I like reading them!

    ReplyDelete