Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Happy Accident

Three words:  No. Bake. Cookies.
This was a total fluke!  A 'happy accident' if you will!  Very happy!!!  We were trying to make Raw Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies!  They were supposed to have the consistency of any regular joe cookie and just be raw ~sounds simple and delicious enough!!!  You are supposed to grind your oats into oat flour in your high powered blender.  HAHA  I do NOT have said 'high powered blender', but if anyone finds it necessary to buy me one....I will so let you! ;-)  I do however have a blender that generally gets the job done.  So we were off to make our oats into flour!  I thought they were 'flour' enough but apparently they were too coarse for this recipe and if we followed it exactly (which we did) it was a runny mess.  We of course added more oat flour and came out with what looked like No-Bake Cookie batter!!!!!!  Well!  I decided to go the extra mile and added a serious scoop of raw almond butter and some sea salt to the mixture, set half on the dehydrator to 'cook' and left the other half out so I could eat it!  ~ Don't judge me.....you know you would do it too!  I got busy though, imagine that, and did not get to eat my batter right away.  Sad, I know.  When I came back to it......it had set just like a No-Bake Cookie!  Score!  DELICIOUS!  I know you are all just as excited about this as Kyle and I so I will post my altered recipe and some other recipe ideas for those of you who may want it just a bit different!  Oh, and the dehydrated ones came out great too!!!!  Remember the link to the original recipe is posted above!
Whole Food No-Bake Cookies: 
3 cups coarse oat flour (grind your oats in a blender or food processor)
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp alcohol free vanilla extract
1/8 cup water
2 Tbs raw agave nectar
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (you could use carob chips or any other chip you like)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 giant spoonfull of raw almond butter or natural peanut butter

*Mix it all together in a bowl and scoop onto parchment or wax paper to set!  You will get faster results if you refrigerate or freeze!  This made probably 24 cookies, I don't really know because we were eating them faster than we could count them!  If you are using the dehydrator and want more of a cake-like cookie.....dehydrate on 115 for 4 hours! 

These dudes were goooood!  Kyle said they were perfect!  He enjoyed his warm from the dehydrator with a side of almond milk!  I thought they were a little too sweet.  When I make them again I will use cacao nibs instead and eliminate the 2 Tbs agave nectar!


 Little disclaimer:  just because a recipe is on this blog does not necessarily make it healthy!  Cookies made with whole foods are still cookies.  Healthier than other cookies?  Yes, but still cookies!  If you want to ensure that your cookies are gluten free, please use certified gluten free oats!

There is some debate about oats and whether or not they are gluten free.  Oats themselves do not contain gluten.  However, they are usually grown next to gluten containing fields or processed in the same facility as other glutenous grains.  Being that they are highly absorbable, they are contaminated with gluten in this way.  I made the mistake of thinking all oats were gluten free in the beginning of our GF journey and suffered big time!  Don't make the same mistake! Ouch!  If you are going to use peanut butter, please use one that has only one ingredient: peanuts!  The other stuff is just not good for you, put it down and run away!

I like "Krema" the best for consistency and price but any natural, one-ingredient peanut butter will work!  Did you know that vanilla extract contains alcohol?  It does!  Here is a pic of some alcohol free vanilla that we use in all of our recipes!

(Not a good picture, but you get the idea!)  So let me know if you decide to try these little bundles of deliciousness and tell me what you think!

Do you have a favorite cookie recipe???

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try these! I bought the stuff already. So, you don't even cook it on the stovetop? You just mix it together and let it set? Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! We've made them several times and sometimes they are more runny than others so you may have to adjust the liquid, I don't like mine as sweet so I leave out the agave. hen we shape them and throw 'em in the fridge! If you want them warm you can put them in your oven on the lowest setting until they've hardened a bit! Hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete