Monday, January 10, 2011

Pasta Bravo!!!!

I looooove pasta!  I always want pasta.  It's delicious.  Thankfully there are really, really tasty gluten free pastas in the world!  However, notsomuch at the restaurants.  Bravo! was my favorite restaurant and I always got the same dish, their Penne Mediterranean!  It is so good and has all of my favorites; sundried tomatoes, spinach, garlic, feta and of course the big helping of pasta underneath all of that!  So I decided it would be in my best interest to recreate this dish at home according to our dietary needs rather than deprive myself of my favorite dinner ever!  For the record...I also love the bread and dipping oil they have at Bravo! and I will be recreating that as well in the near future!  Here is the recipe for my Pasta Bravo!

I probably should have measured the ingredients better, it's really just an eyeballed recipe.  The beauty of it is, you can't really mess it up.  It's all about your tastes.  As long as you use the same ingredients, the amounts aren't set in stone!  This served two very hungry people!

1 box of your favorite pasta, cooked (we used gluten free!)
1 heaping cup of sliced sundried tomatoes
2 big handfuls of organic baby spinach
1/4 cup (or less) of pine nuts ~I don't usually use pine nuts because they are so expensive, but they are in the original dish and go really well with the tomatoes.  I would imagine that raw cashew pieces would come in a close second but I wouldn't cook them as long.
1/4 cup or more of Olive Oil ~I like regular Olive Oil in this rather than EVOO, the flavor is better
3 cloves garlic, chopped

*Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat.  Add the pine nuts and stir with the oil for 60-90 seconds.  Add the chopped garlic and continue to stir with pine nuts and oil until very slightly browned, it won't take long at all...maybe a minute or two.  Add sliced sundried tomatoes and spinach.  Toss to coat and stir until spinach is very slightly wilted.  Voila!  You're done!  Add to cooked pasta and feast!  You can always add more oil if you like!  (I like!)
I wilted my spinach a bit too much so beware, it gets done quickly!  It still tasted wonderful though!  We didn't add the cheese but a goat feta or raw goat cheddar added to the top would be delectable!  If you don't like any kind of animal based cheese you can try your hand at a nut cheese.   I may do that next time myself!  I hope you try this dish!  It's so good and tastes pretty close to the original!  (without the big price tag and gluten induced bellyache of course!)

If you could recreate a favorite dish from a restaurant, what would it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment