Friday, January 14, 2011

So We Got Some New Knives

I must tell you all a dreadful secret.  I am scared of knives.  :-)  I hate them, they terrify me!  I don't know why really, I mean they can only do damage if I let them right?  Technically I control them so I guess I am more afraid of the operator!  I don't know how to properly use knives and I just feel awkward with them.  It doesn't help that I go into it with a fear of them from the start but still, it's true.  I have even pondered taking an adult course at our local career center on how to use knives!  You will soon see, that I have yet to take this course! haha

The story goes like this:  We purchased some new knives at Wal-Mart.  Nothing fancy, we just needed some new ones to eliminate cross contamination (gluten) from our old knives and because our other knives were barely cutting the butter!  I was afraid of the new ones from the beginning.  I remember telling Kyle at the store that I was nervous to bring them home.  I have read that you are actually more likely to cut yourself with dull knives than with the sharpened knives but I was scared nonetheless.  Wednesday afternoon I decided to make myself this yummy lunch:
Just a simple salad, carrot juice and carrot falafels.  Jumping subjects for a second, I didn't love the falafels.  I prefer the conservation burgers.  If I make them again I think I will tone down the spices.  Ok, back to my story.  I always put avocado in my salad.  You have to slice avocado to put it in your salad ~with a knife.  It was a beautiful avocado!  No gross spots, not one!

However, I was so excited about the gorgeous avocado that I decided to pick it up to slice it.  With our old knives this would never have been a problem.  With the new knives I sliced the avocado and my hand.  Not smart.  Thankfully it wasn't terrible, but it did not help my fear any!  It's just in a bad spot for being a busy, diaper changing mama!

This was taken 2 days later, I don't know why I didn't think to take a pic at the time!  It's only a little over an inch long and only deep enough to be like the worst paper cut in history!  Not bad, but I don't want to do it again!  There is a recipe I would like to share with you though!  The falafels are supposed to have a tangy tahini sauce and the recipe is listed with the same link as above.  However I prefer the dressing from one of my books, 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Raw.'  I love this dressing.  It's great for salads and baked potatoes.  My little girl eats it with sliced olives and it makes a great Kale Chip as well!  YUM!
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup raw tahini (you could use roasted but the nutrient value is less)
6 Tbs filtered water
4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (I usually use half a lemon)
1Tbs nama shoyu which is unprocessed soy sauce, this has gluten though so I use Tamari which is a gluten free soy sauce!
1 Tbs green onion diced (I usse chives because I don't love green onion)
1tsp raw apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp garlic or ginger (optional-I've never used either)
Pinch cayenne

Assemble all ingredients and mix by hand or pour into your 'bullet' type device!  Blend or mix until creamy!

I hope you decide to make this dressing, you could use it for everything.  It's delicious.  I usually end up adding more lemon and more soy sauce (tamari) but just adjust to your tastes!  It will keep in the fridge for about a week if stored in an airtight container.  You may need to add more liquid after refrigerating to reach your desired consistency!  If you decide to add this dressing to a salad........



just don't end up needing one of these!  Have a great day!

Do you have a favorite salad ingredient???

No comments:

Post a Comment