Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bottomless Pit!

I told you guys that I have been a bottomless pit lately!  It's crazy!  I have added lots more food to my daily regimen and thought I would share it with you!  I need lots of fluids to keep up my milk supply so I like my juices and smoothies a LOT!  They are one-handed meals and contribute to hydration!  Little tasty multi-taskers, love that!  My morning pretty much consists of liquid meals!  It's the busiest part of my day so I find myself doing things one-handed a lot and this includes eating.  It's also when I feel really thirsty (probably because I am too lazy to get up and eat or drink anything in the middle of the night, even though my son still nurses quite a lot then!) 

Green Juice!!!!!!!!!!  I have never been a coffee drinker, caffeine and I do not get along.....and now that I know most coffees also contain gluten....well, you get the picture!  However, if I do not get my green juice in the morning......watch out!  I would imagine that is what it feels like for coffee drinkers when they don't have their morning coffee?  I don't know?  For the record, I LOOOOOOVE Kale in my juice!  Even for beginners I think it has the best flavor!  It makes for a deeper lemonade and it is quite refreshing!  Another benefit to our diet.........my teeth have become really white?!?  I would imagine that it's the juice and the strawberries on top of the fact that I don't drink pop, wine or coffee but I'll take it! :-)
*My typical juice:
1 peeled lemon
2 green apples
5 stalks Kale
2 stalks celery

Green Smoothie!!!!!  Not always green in color! ;-)  This is the Chocolate Cherry Bomb!  Yum!  I don't like my smoothies too sweet, so I didn't add any kind of sweetening ingredient a la honey, agave or stevia but I suppose you could! 
* 1 Cup water
   1 Tbs raw chocolate protein powder
   1-2 cups frozen cherries
   Giant handful of spinach or one stalk of Kale (off the stalk)
~blend until smooth and add water if necessary.  Serves 1

Chocolate Banana Smoothie!!!!!!!!!!  This one is really filling because of the almond milk and almond butter, especially if my green smoothie for the day doesn't contain protein powder!  I've been drinking the whole pitcher again, like I did when I was pregnant! YUM!  If my other smoothies don't have spirulina, then I add it to this one!  Now that bananas are back in our lives I will alternate this smoothie with the Smooth Mama from 'Raw Food Detox Diet!'

Smooth Mama!
1 Cup Almond Milk or water
1 banana
1tsp spirulina powder
3 ice cubes
generous handful  walnuts
*blend until smooth.  1 serving!

Carrot Juice!!!!!!!!!  That is a 24 oz mason jar!  The juice keeps really well in the fridge until I'm ready for it around noon, as long as I store it in this!  I originally came upon this jar because my mama made us some salsa!  Usually I return them so we can eventually have more salsa.........but mom, if you're reading this........can I keep this one?  Pleeeeeease!?!  ;-)  

Notice how I have already had roughly 4 servings of raw vegetables!  It's usually only around noon by the time I finish my carrot juice and not one of my veggie servings has tasted like raw broccoli!  (not that I dislike raw broccoli!)

Today, the little lady and I devoured some kale chips!  I have been wanting them for a while but the kale always makes it to the juicer too fast!  This week I bought more kale than usual so I could actually have some for chips!!!!  Finally,

Typically, I use this recipe but omit the pepper and sub tamari for the soy sauce!  These were just coated in some leftover rawfredo to which I added sundried tomatoes!  I prefer the original chips but the toddler loooooooved these!!!!!!!!  We were also fortunate enough to have eggplant chips today!!!!  I made my Marinated A&E Salad the other day and just dehydrated the leftover eggplant slices!  Pretty yummy!  My recent 'chicken adventure' left me really wanting some raw snacks this week!  I have also had two Lara Bars today!  Normally I don't have them everyday and especially not two a day!  Today however, my kids were keeping me really busy when I was also ready for some food.  No time to chop veggies meant two Laras down the hatch!  I would usually have a big salad with avocado and other vegetables or breakfast cookie dough cereal!  I always drink water with the meals and snacks that I eat in the afternoon and evening.  This week I bought the food I needed to make myself more lunches, I am getting tired of my salad and I don't want that to happen because I really like it!  I will be making these lovely collard wraps complete with the dip!  I like the dip warm ~who wants to eat cold chili dip?  So I put it in a shallow dish of hot water while I chop the veggies for the wraps!  We do add the raw goat cheddar to our wraps just like the recipe and it really makes a big difference so if you don't eat any animal products, you should spread a nut cheese on the collard leaves before rolling them up! 

I will also have raw tacos again for lunch before the week is out! (are you really surprised?)  They are sooooo good and incredibly easy to make!  Recently my daughter has even taken a liking to them!!! 

After lunch and snacks....it's dinner time!  I have been so excited for dinner the last couple of weeks.  It has been soooooo cold and I really hate the cold.  I think that is why I have been wanting so many cooked foods for our suppers!  By the end of the day, I just want something hot to eat!  These are our meals this week!  I think I am going to try and double some of the recipes so I have some to freeze!  I like having extra meals in the freezer in case I don't feel like cooking one night or I don't have time!!!
Chili - I make a good vegan chili!  It's exceptionally easy and doesn't really have a recipe.  I just throw a bunch of chili powder, sea salt, garlic, beans, corn and tomatoes together.  It's yummy!  I am definitely going to be freezing some of this!

Coco Quinoa - I changed the name of this recipe.  It's actually called, 'gluten free, vegan one-pot mac n cheese' but it tastes nothing like mac n cheese!  It is really good though!  I will add a few sundried tomatoes and a little bit of agave nectar.  It has this sweet and salty thing going!  I like that!

Vegan Stuffed Peppers -  My version of the linked recipe also has mushrooms and LOTS more nutritional yeast!  I add about 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, a handful of mushrooms and the entire can of tomato paste!  I like the deeper flavors!  I also don't put the roasted red pepper in my mixture, I just make it without and then stuff the peppers!  This really is a meal all on it's own.  The originaly recipe has steamed collards and sweet corn alongside.  We have done it that way before and it is good, but I won't this time!  The stuffing freezes well too!

Salsa Al Pomodoro Maccheroni - per Kyle's request!!!  I will be making extra to freeze.  I think I am also going to put some in smaller containers that he can take to work!  'Salsa Al Pomodoro' is Italian for tomato sauce.  Did I tell you that?  I am such a dork!  Hehe, I was trying to be fancy!

Baked Sweet Potatoes - We eat these a lot.  They are so good and really easy.  Kyle likes his sweet and I like mine salty! 

The sweet version.  He puts dairy free butter, organic brown sugar and cinnamon on his potato.  If you are going to make it healthier......I would put pure maple syrup on it rather than the brown sugar!


The salty version!  I just add a dash of sea salt, spinach and some goat cheese.  The spinach gets nice and wilty if the potato is fresh from the oven!  YUM YUM


 
The other nights we are either going to have leftovers or I am going to 'wing it' with the things we already have in the house!  I didn't feel like planning anything else ~totally not like me, but I went with it! ;-) 

Have a blessed day and stay warm and safe if you are in the midwest!  Yucky weather!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you don't mind I am posting your blog as one of the blogs I follow on my page! (im creating a new blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all!!!! I am sure I will be doing the same for yours! Love the title by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete