Monday, February 14, 2011

Chickpea Corn Chili

Good Morning!  I finally got around to making our chili last night!  If you've been following along with us, you know that chili was on our menu about 2 weeks ago.  Yeah, uh....I never made it!  The past two weeks I have had plans to make this chili every morning when I get up and every night goes by without it.  Oh well, last night was the night!  Hooray!  It's incredibly easy and Kyle thought it was good enough to share the recipe with you all, so here it goes! 

Chickpea Corn Chili:
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 can light red kidney beans
1 32 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
3 Tbs Chili Powder
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 cup corn (I used frozen, you could add more if you like!)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
1 good swirl of honey (sorry, I honestly didn't measure that one.  I just added it until the chili had a good salty/sweet thing going ~it wasn't much though, maybe a couple of teaspoons?)

*Stir all ingredients together in a chili pot and simmer on the stove until beans are tender and chili is heated through.  Busy Moms:   chili is ultra freezable!  Just let it cool and place in a freezable container with a lid.  When ready to eat chili, place the container in a bowl of warm water to loosen then empty contents into a sauce pan.  Heat on low to medium until warm enough to eat!!  I find that chili flavors always taste better a day or two later!  The flavors get stronger!  Yum, yum!!!



There are a few things I would like to discuss regarding canned ingredients!  You should always rinse your canned beans to reduce sodium and get the no sodium added beans if possible.  Another thing about canned foods is that they are often processed in the same facility or on the same equipment as wheat and other allergens such as dairy, eggs, tree nuts and soy.  This is not good.  Most of the time this information will be listed on the side of the can but if it is not listed, do not assume that it is safe.  You should really call the company first to double check.  Some people are not sensitive to things made in the same facility as other allergens but most will be sensitive to items made on the same equipment.  I am very sensitive to both.  You can rinse canned items like beans and take a chance on them but I know I can't after trial and error.  In this case, the best thing to do is to get dry beans.  They may still be processed in the same facility or on the same equipment as allergens but if you rinse then soak them, you stand a better chance of reducing contamination.  Unfortunately I bought all of our canned ingredients prior to learning I have celiac disease so I could not eat the chili!  Next time, I will get dry beans and substitute 1 cup of soaked dry beans for each of the canned beans.  They are generally cheaper anyway!!!
Happy eating!!!

8 comments:

  1. jess,
    thanks for stopping by my blog. you are welcome to share my story. the more prayers the better... as far as I'm concerned ;) thanks a ton.
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would "really call the company first to double check" if their product is "processed in the same facility or on the same equipment as wheat and other allergens such as dairy, eggs, tree nuts and soy" if it wasn't "listed on the side of the can"? If it isn't, why did you buy it? Then you want to get on the phone to the company that produces it and ask them?

    Sorry, but that sounds a bit whacky to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely would call the company if I was worried about cross contamination or whether or not their products were produced in the same facility as other allergens. As I stated in this post, I bought the cans of beans that I used in this recipe prior to learning I had celiac disease. Rather than throw them out, calling the company was the best way to handle the situation. Once the company has been called and their products are cleared, you shouldn't have to call again. Some companies will also list this information on their website but that isn't true for all of them. When you are extremely sensitive to food allergens, it can get scary really quick. It does sound 'wacky' or obsessive but when you deal with the pain and sickness that your specific food allergen causes, you don't mess around. If you are interested in reading more about it, you should check out 'The G Free Diet' or look up 'gluten cross-contamination' via google. You might just be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers! All the best for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please check:

    http://jazzyallergyrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, that 2 ingredient fudge looks delicious and homemade vegan buttercream would be great in it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also how about:

    http://www.irresistiblyglutenfree.com/

    This site could be a gold mine for you!



    AC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please help out Amy

    http://allergyamy.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete