Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pizza Pizza!

Do you remember those 'Little Caesars' commercials with the little guy that always said, "Pizza! Pizza!"  I really liked those commercials when I was little, thought they were funny! :-)  We looooooove pizza!  Last week we had some extremely yummy gluten free vegetarian pizza!  (I know....last week.  I'm a little late but it's been crazy busy and tiring around here!  Better late than never right?)  My baby girl gobbled her pizza up, she just loved it!  I was so excited about that because a lot of people think we can't eat things like pizza, but we can!  We just have to be aware of ingredients and get creative!  Usually these converted recipes taste better than the originals, especially when they don't hurt us!!!!!!  I bought a packaged pizza dough mix so it's not the healthiest of doughs.  Mostly it's just starch with seasoning so I will definitely be making some buckwheat pizza crust in the future!  This one was tasty though!
I started with this mix.  It's just tapioca flour, tapioca starch and some seasoning.  I was happy with it because the price was good and, as you can see, it was also yeast, dairy and soy free in addition to being gluten free!  Score!  I will be able to recreate it without the packaged mix in the future but we are still new to gluten free and experimenting with different flours/starches for breads and other baked goods.  It was easier to go this route for now!  To prepare the dough, the package calls for 2Tbs oil, 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, 4 or more Tbs milk, and 2 eggs.  Well...we don't eat those things!!!  So, I used 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast in place of the parmesan and 2 flax eggs.  Flax eggs are 1Tbs of flax seed or meal in 3Tbs of liquid.  I used flax meal in water.  I also substituted almond milk for cow milk!  No big deal!  Nutritional yeast has a dense, nutty and cheesy flavor.  I think it's really good!  It is also a great source of protein and vitamin B12! 
The nutritional yeast gave it a yellow color and you can see the oregano in the dough as well!  It was really good even before I baked it!  I love that part about vegan baking, I can taste whatever I want without the risk of salmonella!!!!  Sometimes I have the intention of making vegan cookies and I end up just eating the batter!  :-)  Anyway, I just mixed all of the ingredients in a bowl and kneaded the dough until I could press it out.  It ended up taking about 8 Tbs of milk.  I was dissapointed in the size of the dough.  I don't know why I thought it would be bigger but it really was only enough to feed my daughter and me.  My husband had to make his own pizza later! LOL  I will double it next time!  I should have partially baked the crust before adding the sauce and toppings because the final product was a bit doughy in the center, so if you make this you should definitely put it in the oven for about 8 minutes before adding toppings!

Of course I added a small clove of minced garlic and a handful of chopped spinach to my sauce!  My sauce did have some added sugar and salt.  If you don't want that, you can try to find some plain tomato sauce or you can take a can of tomato paste, a can of crushed or diced tomatoes and whatever seasonings you like and throw it in the blender to make your own sauce!  After I added the sauce it was time for the veggies.  We had black olives (my daughter's favorite), spinach, sliced cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, artichoke, and one crumbled goat cheese medallion. 


The pizza went into the 375* oven for about 25 minutes.  Had I partially baked the dough, it would have taken less time.  Supremely yummy!!!!  I can't wait to make it again.  Next time I am going to make a nut cheese to add instead of the goat cheese and I will make sure to pre-bake the dough!!!

Mostly devoured!



My little boy was having a 'photo shoot' during all of this baking time!  His dad was taking his 16 week photos and of course my baby girl decided she would ham it up too!  Cuties!

We're big Ohio State fans around here!


He has the cutest little grin!

She wanted to take the pictures herself!!

Beautiful little goober!!

Until next time! :-)




 


No comments:

Post a Comment