Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Heart Green Juice!

Hi all!  I hope you are having a lovely day!  We were actually able to get to church this morning and almost on time!!!!  Hoo-rah!  It seems that no matter what we do or how early we start getting ready, we are always late!  Somebody always needs something right as we are trying to leave!  The baby needs fed or the toddler has a poop...lol, I mean seriously it's always something!  Today we were only 4 minutes late which is like a record!  We were even able to catch the music, which was super lovely!  My little girl loves music in a big way so it was really awesome that she got so excited to hear the music in church!  :-)

Anyway, I wanted to tell you all a little bit more about green juice today!  I 'heart' green juice!  We had a stomach virus a couple of weeks ago and I had some serious lingering nausea last week.  I just could not stomach the thought of green juice and that is huge because it is normally how I start my day!  Big glass of green juice In. My. Hand.  I was definitely feeling the negative effects from not drinking this nutrient dense juice in a little over a week!  It's incredibly high in calcium and iron among many other things and my body was hurting!  My tail was dragging all week and my muscles were all crampy and tempermental.  Not fun.  Finally, this morning I felt like I could handle some serious green juice!!!!  My lovely husband juiced some beautiful Lacinato Kale with some green apples, celery and lemon!  My favorite combo!  I already feel soooo much better!  It's ridiculous really!  So I thought I would dedicate this post to green juice!



This is Lacinato Kale

Juicing releases 'trapped' nutrients and allows our body to absorb them!  When you eat these vegetables and fruits, yes you are getting some great nutrition, but drinking them in the form of juice allows your body to take everything in immediately and you get more nutrition because your body doesn't have to work to break down the cellular structure of the produce.  Instead, your body is just waiting to take in all the fabulous nutrients that fuel it! 

"It's a fact:  nothing is more live-enzyme rich than freshly extracted vegetable juice.  Ounce for ounce it is the most enzyme-loaded, easily absorbable form of nutrition available on the planet today."  Natalia Rose, 'The Raw Food Detox Diet'

I know that drinking greens sounds particularly unappetizing but seriously, this stuff is delicious!  Mostly it just tastes like the best lemonade ever!!!  I will give you the recipe of my favorite combination but we use a lot of different combos!  If you find that you don't like one combination that certainly does not mean that green juice is out for you!  Just try to think of other recipes you might like!  You can use any combination of apples, lemon, cucumber, celery, romaine lettuce, spinach, any variety of kale, collard greens, swiss chard......the list goes on!  We really enjoy beet greens in our juice!  I have found that spinach is difficult to juice so mostly I use spinach in smoothies but we rotate our juiced greens!  Check out this post from 'The Fitness Dish' about why rotating greens is so important!

Our favorite green juice:
serves 2 very thirsty people!
- 2 lemons (peeled)
- 3 stalks celery
- l bunch Italian (lacinato) Kale
- 2 romaine leaves
- 5 apples (or to taste) ~our favorite is a combo of granny smith and gala
yields roughly 36 ounces juice!

*Typically we juice the celery and greens first followed by the lemon and apples.  We find that this method extracts the most juice.  We also do it this way because we like to have a certain amount of 'green' juice before adding the other fruits/veggies that have a higher yield.  You will find that greens don't seem to have much juice but it's some very potent stuff!  The above combination when juiced in the order mentioned will give about 250 ml of juice from just the greens!  I do hope you will be adding this amazing juice to your repertoire soon!  Have a lovely day!

What are your favorite juice combinations?  (doesn't have to be green!)

***PS it took me a little over an hour to type this post because I had to stop 3 times to take care of the baby! lol  You do what ya have to do!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment