Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Homemade Dairy Free Chocolate Chips!!!

Yes, you read that correctly!  Homemade chocolate chips!  Holy moly!!!!  Sadly, I cannot take credit for this recipe.  It's a widely used raw recipe with many variations and why I am just now jumping on this train is beyond me, but alas I finally made these chocolate chips and I am amazed!  I used Angela's recipe from 'Oh She Glows' (have I mentioned that I think she's a genius?!)

 I wanted to do a quick post about this because I have a few friends with babies who have an intolerance to dairy and my family no longer consumes dairy either.  Here is the frustrating thing about chocolate chips:  there are lots of brands that don't use milk or milk products in the ingredients for their chocolate but I have yet to find a bag of choc-chips that doesn't say "made on the same equipment as products containing milk."  Well, that's a big bummer.  It doesn't bother me to eat them but it does bother my son's eczema.  I can buy chocolate chips that say specifically "dairy free" but when you read the ingredients (sigh) they generally list an enormous amount of soy.  What's up with that?  I don't see why you can't buy dairy free chocolate chips without all the added junk?  However, you can make them!  Hooray!

This past weekend we really wanted some chocolate chip cookies.  Really.  Like for realz.  Had to have them.  As I was reading my usual blogs it became apparent that we were not the only ones who had this craving!  The genius had posted a recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough blizzards ~  seriously!  So we set off on a grand adventure.  The posted recipe calls for chocolate chips.  I have been avoiding them because of the dairy thing so I thought maybe I could use cacao nibs but I wanted some melt-in-your-mouth chocolate and though I dearly love cacao nibs, they were just not gonna cut it this time!  I poked around her blog a bit and found that I could make my own chocolate chips in about 15 minutes.  15 minutes and I have chocolate I can actually eat!?!?!?  Yes please!  Here is the recipe which is also linked above!

Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup carob powder  (~you could omit this and use an extra 1/2 cup of cocoa powder)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 4 T maple syrup  (~the original recipe calls for agave but I used maple syrup)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Mix it all together by hand and then roll out.  Freeze for 15 minutes and cut into chocolate chip pieces!

The cutting process

We made our tasty little chocolate pieces to go in these beautiful chocolate chip cookie dough bites!  To make them gluten free, simply substitute the spelt flour for a gluten free flour.  I used brown rice.  I decided to use the linked recipe because it used dates instead of agave and I prefer the taste of anything over the agave nectar in my baked goods.  The idea was to make our cookie dough and then add it to the banana soft serve to make the blizzards she suggests (linked above) but they were so delicious that we ate them plain! 

This was only half, the other half never made it as far as the spoon!!!


I can say with some certainty that I will ALWAYS have these chocolate chips in my freezer from now on!  Here are some ideas for variations;  you can use all cocoa powder for a more traditional flavored chocolate chip.  If you use the carob along with cocoa powder as suggested, it is a tangy chocolate.  You could also use all cacao (raw cocoa) powder which will give you a deep chocolate flavor that I think has a hint of coffee flavor as well.

Have a good one!

4 comments:

  1. First, I have missed your posts!! Second, I will definitely try this! I make Darren milkshakes all of the time and this would be a nice surprise on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thanks! I have tons of posts in my head but I haven't had the time to get them up here! Hope you like the chips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with D, I missed your posts too. You are so entertaining =) LoL AND I'm moving in with you because my family (read "Chris and Tyler") doesn't enjoy this more natural way of eating as much as I do LoL For real though, I want to thank you for being open about how your family eats because it has inspired me to do my own research and make some changes to my family's diet accordingly. We have not, nor do we plan to, go gluten free or dairy free or vegan, but I am definately more concious about what foods I feed my kids and myself. Thanks Jess =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thanks for reading! I am glad that you ladies enjoy the posts! I am always afraid nobody will read them! :-) Don't give up though Traci! lol Kyle put up lots of stinks when we first started but you will find a groove that works for your family! I am glad that I was able to help, I know that having other blogs to read was a huge help for us so I am just trying to reach others that may be looking for some motivation as well!

    ReplyDelete