Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup!

Good Afternoon!  It's freeeeezing today but the sun is shining!!!  It was warm yesterday but the weather was frightening.  Thunderstorms and wind ALL day.  Yuck.  I was not about to attempt going to the grocery. Which is why you don't yet have my list of planned meals for this week!  Turns out, you'll still have to wait another day for those!  I wanted to get the following recipe up ASAP because it was so delicious and I don't have time to link all the recipes for this week's meals in addition........so the new recipe won out!  Hopefully tomorrow I will have a meal list for ya!  I am pretty excited about the dinners on the list this week...but again, tomorrow! 

So, the story goes:  It was gloomy, the toddler was having a 'terrible twos' kind of day, the baby was not interested in anything other than mommy holding him, the husband was late and mommy was cranky!  Having not gone to the grocery meant one of two things.  1. Pick around at whatever we had lying about.  Or 2. Create a simple yet amazing dinner using the ingredients we had on hand!  Thankfully, choice number two won! 

The gloomy (seriously, it was ridiculous outside) weather left me with a craving for an old favorite!  I wanted some tomato soup in a bad way!  Of course, I used to eat tomato soup with the standard grilled cheese.  Even after we changed our diet we ate our tomato soup with grilled goat cheddar sandwiches on whole wheat bread.  Well, obviously I can't do that anymore.  Enter this lovely little recipe from another favorite blog:  Gluten Free Cornbread  ~This was the BEST cornbread!  I used 1/8 cup of maple syrup instead of 1/4 cup of sugar and it was wonderful!  By this time, I was excited.  I had found the perfect accompaniment to some tomato soup....now I just needed to find some tomato soup!  So I began searching for a quick, simple and vegan creamy tomato soup recipe.  Nothin'   I found loads of recipes but most of them used tofu, beans, or 372 ingredients (yes, I am exaggerating a bit) but I wanted something quick and simple and we do not eat soy.  I gave up my search and gathered some ingredients.  I am happy to report, this soup was mondo-fabulous! (Does anyone else miss Gilmore Girls or is it just me??)  The best part, aside from the taste of course, it was really simple!

Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup:

2 cans diced tomatoes ~no salt added
1 can no sugar added tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 cup low sodium, gluten free vegetable broth
1/2 cup almond milk (you could use any kind of milk)
3-5 strands chives (really, just add to taste..this is a guess)
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbs brown sugar


*Add all ingredients except salt and brown sugar to the blender.  Blend until smooth.  You could eat the soup raw at this point and just add some of the sugar and salt to taste but I wanted mine warm and reduced to a nice thick soup!  Pour blened mixture into a soup pot, add salt and brown sugar and simmer until hot and reduced to your liking.  Stir frequently.  Serves 4



We really enjoyed our dinner!  I was very excited to eat the leftovers for lunch today and it was just as scrumptious!  (and if you're thinking, "Man, I bet that soup would be really good with some sliced avocado thrown in.."  You would be right!!!!  Yummy!) 

Special thank you to my mondo-fabulous friend Ali for helping me with the new blog set-up!  Recipe tab will be filled up soon!  Thanks for reading and enjoy your day!  Oh....and make this soup!!!  





3 comments:

  1. Awww Ali helped you? She's pretty much the coolest ;). I LOVE tomato soup! I have yet to make it myself. And don't you love GF cornbread? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and yes! lol I am terrible with all things technical and she was awesome! I did love the cornbread, it was better than any cornbread I've had! ~and bonus, not tummy ache!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, everyone....if you make the cornbread, do sub 1/8 cup maple syrup for the 1/4 cup of sugar in the original recipe, it's much, much tastier! :-)

    ReplyDelete