Sunday, February 26, 2012

Weekly Menu 2/26/12

Hello all!  We're back with the weekly menu.  I can't say last week was a huge success but at least I had a plan!  I'm sticking with it and making another menu for this week.  Even if I'm too nauseated or tired to actually make the food on my list, at least I have an idea of what can be done if I decide to try!  Of course, this list was not easy to make because even as I am typing this, I feel like I could toss my cookies.  (Or, cupcakes rather.....we had a bit of a birthday celebration for a certain 3 year old this weekend)
Lots of chocolate ~the lady's favorite!  (Yes, that is the 'Peanuts' gang!)

We did get around to making tacos!!!!!!!!!!  They were fantastic and the Follow Your Heart sour cream is amazing!  It tastes like full fat regular sour cream which is exactly what I wanted!  It actually inspired me to make a sort of recreation of a dip my mom used to make!  Oh boy, it was good!  We were short on time so instead of making the lentil-walnut taco meat, we did a few different things instead.  I mixed chili powder, onion powder, cumin and sea salt with a can of gluten free/vegetarian refried beans.  I then layered the refried beans, plain lentils, sour cream, salsa, and a mixture of avocado, organic corn, black olives, and sweet bell pepper!  We dipped the chips right in and it was glorious!  

We almost forgot to take a pic which is why you can see my favorite bunny jammie pants in the photo also!  Don't act like you don't have bunny jammas, ok! ;-)  I found a few more vegan taco recipes on pinterest and I'm super excited to try them, I'm thinking taco night might be a regular occurence.  Though, sadly....tacos are not on the list this week.  Maybe next week though? 

Menu for the week of February 26, 2012

1.  Tomato soup and cornbread (yeah, we didn't get to this one and I have all the stuff ~don't judge!)  If you happen to be following along and you're saying to yourself..."Self.  I do not want tomato soup and cornbread again!"  Have no fear!  This butternut squash-apple soup is absolutely amazing!  We also really enjoy this cornbread which is more sweet than savory. 

2.  Raw chili.  I'm really anxious to try this one!  I have three recipes for raw chili form three different books and they are all different.  However, I think I'm going with the one in my Alive in 5 book.  It's super easy and sounds delicious.  I'll probably warm it on low in the oven.  If raw chili does not sound appetizing to you or you don't have a good recipe, here are a few you could possibly add to your menu:  Super Easy Vegetarian Chili, Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili, Pumpkin Chili.

3.  Portabella steaks and rosemary-garlic mashed 'potatoes.'  We may also have steamed asparagus.  The steak and potatoes are actually raw recipes from Mathew Kenney's book.  They looked so delicious, we had to try them!  The potatoes are actually mashed jicama!  Kinda fun!  If you do not have this particular recipe, you can give this one a whirl, Marinated Mushrooms and Cauliflower Mash.  We have actually had that recipe twice and it is delicious.  Just be sure to use gluten free tamari.  

4.  Dreena's Mac-OH, Geez!  Tastes nothing like mac and cheese but it's fabulous!  This dish is hearty and delicious and I really do love it!  I have some gluten free bread crumbs leftover from Thanksgiving that I'll use to top the casserole.  I may also make some g-free garlic bread.  I haven't yet decided.  

5.  Avocado Pasta.  I love this pasta.  It's quick, easy, and delicious enough that even the kids will eat it!  I use lime juice rather than lemon juice and I think it makes this dish extra special.   I'll use corn-quinoa linguini and also....I omit the extra oil and use filtered water instead.  

6.  Chickpea floured eggplant, roasted red pepper and salad.    

7.  Calzones!!!  My husband has been requesting these.  He could probably eat them every day if I made them.  Truthfully, they ARE that good!  We use this dough recipe and use an assortment of filling.  You could use anything you want.  We use the typical pizza toppings; pepper, olives, tomato, spinach, sauce, cheese.  You could use daiya but we have been using goat cheese recently.  Since I have been pregnant, I just cannot stomach daiya.  Again, if you are following along and you're thinking...."Geez.  These people eat a lot of pizza."  Maybe consider a lasagna for this week.  Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, Vegetable Lasagna (this looks amazing!)  We already have pasta on the menu twice this week, once with brown rice and once with corn-quinoa but both of the above lasagna recipes are noodle-less and only use veggies so you won't be having pasta three times in one week. 

Our fabulous calzones after baking in the oven!  Gooey, wonderful mess!  (My husband overstuffed his in spite of my advice....this would be the reason his is bursting at the seams! haha)



Bon appetit, folks!  

No comments:

Post a Comment