Saturday, March 3, 2012

Weekly Menu 3/4/12

Hello again!  I started planning this menu last Thursday and didn't finish it until this morning.  It wasn't hard to put together and there are actually two less dinners than normal but I just couldn't decide on what I wanted.  I always ask my husband for imput and rarely does he think of anything.  Sometimes he wants something specific but most often he just tells me to make whatever and he'll eat it.  He does often put in his request for desserts but this week he didn't care what we were eating as long as there was going to be food.  I do care but I couldn't think of anything that sounded super yummy.  Thus, it took me three days to finish the list!  Oh well, it's done and it turned out pretty good. We're having some of our favorites with a couple of new things that are sure to become favorites and I'm pretty happy with it.  I only planned five dinners though.  I just couldn't think of anything else so I'm banking on leftovers for a couple of days.  I am making a casserole one night and chili another and those things typically do yield leftovers.  If not, we'll have something random from around the house.  I also planned some snacks and lunches which I have been trying to do more so we have a bigger variety of interesting things to eat during the day as well.  Here goes....

Menu for the week of March 4, 2012:

1.  Spring rolls and raw teriyaki sauce from 'The Raw Food Detox Diet.'  I have some rice wraps in the cabinet that I'll use for these and I am altering the inside to include avocado in addition to cabbage, carrots and peppers.  The sauce is a really simple blend with ginger, lemon juice, maple syrup, and soy sauce (use g-free).  We use Bragg's Liquid Amino's when we use soy sauce.  I also make a ginger-scallion sauce that is AMAZING.  It's just ginger, Bragg's, maple syrup, a little bit of brown sugar or molasses, chopped chives or green onion, and tahini (though you could also use almond butter).  I whip it up every time we have a stir fry or some kind of Asian inspired meal.  We will be having some rice with this dish as well because I think my daughter will want some and I need the extra protein. 

2. Raw Food Detox Diet 'Lasagna.'  I have made this lasagna before and it's quite tasty but I am changing the way the recipe is put together simply because I am lazy.  I already have brown rice penne so I am going to use that on the bottom instead of lasagna noodles and layer with thinly sliced medallions of zucchini and eggplant instead of long, thin strips because it's easier to cut.  It will end up being more of a casserole.  This dish also has spinach, goat cheese and pasta sauce. 

3.  Sweet Potato Lentil Chili and chickpea flatbread (also known as socca). 

4. Pumpkin Pancakes and breakfast potatoes.  I added this recipe to our list just this morning!  We made pancakes and they were fantastic.  Really, really fantastic!  I added chocolate chips as a surprise for the kids and it was a major success!  We were surprised how fluffy these pancakes were and decided to have Brinner one day this week as well!
Pumpkin-chocolate chip pancakes!  YUM!  These would be really easy to make ahead and freeze too!


5.  This dish is a little something I like to call 'Megan's Falafel's!'  My friend Megan gave me the recipe and I have no idea where it came from, she can't remember where she first saw it and I've never been able to pull it up on the internet.  Therefore, 'Megan's Falafel's' were born! ;-)  These are really easy to make and taste really good.  They also refrigerate well for the next day so it's a win-win.  I'll give you the recipe below and if this recipe is originally yours, feel free to claim it!  Random and funny:  Kyle doesn't like to call these falafels because it sounds too much like waffles and he thinks they should taste like waffles.  Sigh.  So....we have to call them hush puppies which in turn makes the little lady think it's more fun to eat them.  I don't care, as long as they are eating!!! 

Recipe for Megan's Falafel's:
-1 can garbanzo beans (or the equivalent of dry, cooked)
-1/4 onion or 1 small shallot
-1/4 cup cilantro or parsley (we always use cilantro)
-1 tsp cumin
-1/4 tsp coriander
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp sea salt
-organic/non-gmo cornmeal
*preheat oven to 425.  Mix all ingredients together in food processor, form into balls, roll in cornmeal, brown if desired and bake for 10 minutes!  DONE! 
*serve over a bed of salad greens, tomato, avocado and quinoa flatbread with tahini-lime dressing!  We use our standard tahini dressing since we usually have some on hand or just mix a little tahini with lime juice and sea salt ~call it a day! 

I'm glad to finally have this recipe on the computer because I just have it on a really old piece of paper stretching the top margin of what used to be a former weekly menu.  I have to dig it out every time I make these! haha

I told you I also have some lunches and snacks on the list this week and they are as follows:

Lunches/Snacks week of March 4, 2012:

1. Romaine Wraps.  Another recipe from Raw Food Detox Diet.  It's just almond butter, raw honey and lettuce all wrapped up together but it sounds good and I think my little girl will eat it but I'm going to use sunbutter. 

2.  Raw Coleslaw.  We're using Natalia Rose's recipes a lot this week, another from the aforementioned book!  I will have lots of cabbage leftover from the spring rolls so I'll use it in this recipe and make some Liquid Gold Dressing, also from the book, to go with it.  My husband can take this to work and we can munch on it throughout the day here at home.

3.  Apple-Raisin Dream.  Natalia Rose again, surprise!  The dressing recipe above makes a lot and this salad, though the ingredients are completely different, uses the same dressing so I won't waste any.  This is another lunch/snack item that we can eat at home and my husband can take to work. 

4.  I'll be making coconut butter to add to smoothies, top pancakes and waffles and just eat with a spoon.

5.  Salt and Vinegar Beet Chips.  I have tried beet chips before and I did not like them but I have read that if you soak them in salt and vinegar first it almost pickles them and they make a great chip after that!  We will be using the dehydrator but you could use the oven also.  I currently have Kale Chips in the dehydrator which will give the kids something to munch tomorrow and Monday as well.  I'm staying away from Kale right now because of my gallbladder.  The cabbage family is really hard on my gallbladder right now and kale is the worst of them for me (sad day!)  plus we are already having cabbage for the coleslaw and spring rolls so I'm taking a couple of chances there and I don't want to take any more.  I can't promise I won't have a couple and chase them with some milk thistle though! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment