Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Dinner

Hello all!  I wanted to share with you what we will be having to eat on Easter Sunday.  When I was growing up we usually had canned green beans with ham, cooked until absolutely zero nutrients remain just like a good southern chef would do! ;-)  We would also have a honeybaked ham (my mom used to bake hers with Pepsi), fried chicken strips, mashed potatoes with margarine (because apparently butter is bad for you?)and gravy, starchy dinner rolls, 7 layer salad with lots of mayo and cheese, canned corn and an entire table full of desserts people would bring to share with everyone.  I'm not gonna lie ~the food was good.  We all always looked forward to it.  Pretty standard American stuff ~you know...lots of fake food, gmo's, lack of nutrients, refined flour and sugar and a big food coma to follow.  Looking back, I cannot believe we ate all of that and actually looked forward to it!  Of course, the company is always fun but the food HAD to change!  We have been on such a wonderful journey to health and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Though we seem 'weird' to the 'Standard American Diet' folk, we couldn't be happier!  My husband and I love that all of our food is satiating and delicious and never leaves us feeling like we need to unbutton our pants (you know what I'm talking about!), take a massive nap or a pain killer for the sugar headache.  Our diet is most certainly not perfect but we do try and it pays off pretty big!  All of our holiday food is still indulgent but it's real, organic, non-gmo, gluten free, dairy free, egg free and meat free, did I mention delicious?!  We love it and whatever journey you are taking with your health, we hope that some of these ideas and the support will help you along the way!  Real food is the best food!  On to the menu!!!

Ooey gooey cinnamon rolls! (the frosting does contain powdered sugar if you use it)

All of the food for Resurrection Sunday was requested by my husband.  It's not exactly 'traditional' according to the usual springy and traditional type fare I listed above but it's what he said he wanted so I shall oblige! 

Breakfast:  Cinnamon Rolls with Spiced Buttercream.  I will be using a few different recipes to accomplish these rolls.  The picture above is from this recipe and I love the filling, the cloves taste amazing!  However, I wanted to try a different dough this time and settled on this recipe to which I shall add a chia egg.  The frosting is my favorite of all time and I will be using powdered sugar but I will use organic so as to avoid genetically modified ingredients and chemicals.  I am going to try powdering my own sugar sometime soon though, I think it would be fairly easy and then I can use sucanat or coconut sugar.  The sugar in the actual rolls will be replaced with coconut sugar.   I will also steam some asparagus because I want some kind of veggie in the morning and asparagus with cinnamon rolls has that whole sweet salty thing going on!  Love!  I'll pre-make the rolls on Saturday using this method and refrigerate the frosting for the next day.  Otherwise, we'll never have breakfast!  The idea of getting up early enough on any Sunday morning to actually make breakfast and get everyone ready is truly laughable!

Lunch/Dinner:  I don't know about you, but in our family....holidays are always busy.  After church we will have a visit with my husband's family and then come home before the massive overtired meltdown happens and try to get the kids into bed for naps.  After this major accomplishment, which is a major accomplishment, my husband and I will eat and lunch/dinner sort of runs together.  We've been married for 6 years and parents for 3.  I used to attempt breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.  This left us with way too much food and me stressed and too busy in the kitchen to enjoy anything.  Now, we usually have a special breakfast plus one large, complete meal.  If we are traveling to multiple locations or if we will end up needing more food, I will plan accordingly but this Sunday, our lunch/dinner will be more than enough!  At my husband's request, we will be having a nice, hearty chili.  He loooooooves chili, we also had chili for Christmas this past year so I can't say I'm surprised that this is what he wanted for Easter as well ~ though I will have to put my foot down for the Fourth of July because July is just not chili weather! ;-)  We will also be having cheesy garlic breadsticks and salads.  We have actually had the cauliflower pizza crust before but this one seems a little better for using flax or chia eggs and I think the texture will be great!  I would like to use raw goat cheddar as the cheese but depending on my daughter, I may have to use daiya.  She is the only one of us who is still sometimes sensitive to goat cheese and I'll be sure to muscle test her with it first.  Remember the naps I mentioned earlier?  My kids will have eaten some snack type foods beforehand ~usually leftovers from previous dinners, hummus, veggies, almond butter, etc.  After naps, they'll enjoy the food listed above.   Being pregnant, I need some extra fat in my diet so I will also have avocado with my chili as will my growing kids!  Yum!
This salad has tahini dressing but we'll probably use homemade Italian this weekend.

Well, I hope you have a wonderful weekend and you are able to find some fabulous food that won't hurt you! 

"Early on Sunday morning, as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went out to see the tomb.  Suddenly there was a great earthquake, because an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and rolled aside the stone and sat on it.  His face shone like lightning, and his clothing was as white as snow.  The guards shook with fear when they saw him, and they fell into a dead faint.
Then the angel spoke to the women, "Don't be afraid!" he said.  "I know you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified.  He isn't here!  He has been raised from the dead, just as he said would happen.  Come, see where his body was lying.  And now, go quickly and tell his disciples he has been raised from the dead, and he is going ahead of you to Galilee.  You will see him there.  Remember, I have told you." (Mathew 28 1-7 NLV)

"Jesus came and told his disciples, "I have been given complete authority in heaven and on earth.  Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.  And be sure of this:  I am with you always, even to the end of the age."  (Mathew 28 16-20 NLV)



1 comment: