Sunday, April 29, 2012

Weekly Menu 4/29/12

Good evening everyone!  I'm a bit late on this post but better late than never!  I try to get the weekly menu posts up on Fridays so you can see what we're having before the week actually starts.  This way, you can use some of these recipes in your menu for the week if you so choose.  However, I have not been feeling the greatest and this week we tried something new.  My husband and I spent all afternoon cooking so we could have the majority of our food for the week finished and we will only have to make a few things spread throughout the week instead of having to make a full dinner every night.  It worked really well!  We were able to get a lot accomplished and now we have dinners plus lunches for the first few days of the week.  This is especially helpful for the lunch situation because lunches need to be quick around here and because my husband has been trying to pack his food more often.  There aren't any restaurants where you can get real food let alone gluten free, dairy free or meat free where my husband works.....or around where we live for that matter.  So it's best that he pack if he wants to eat healthy and it's better on the wallet ~easier said than done though!  I'm really excited about this menu because we have some new items I've really been wanting to try!

Menu for the week of April 29, 2012:

1.  Soup beans and cornbread.  My husband requested this one.  I've never used ham in my soup beans as is common.  We didn't really like ham even when we ate meat and now, well, we don't eat meat so I still don't use it!  Tastes great just the same!

2.  Gluten Free Vegan GORDITAS!!!!!!!!  Seriously!  It's supposed to be chickpea flatbread pizza but I made them last week, and as pizza they were quite delicious, but I folded mine like a traditional taco and I was in gordita heaven!  I cannot tell you how exciting this is because when I used to eat standard American style, I used to eat some serious Taco Bell and I have been craving it this pregnancy.  Obviously, I can't have Taco Bell but this is so much better!  All the deliciousness without the sickness!  Amazing, you must try it! She's not kidding when she says you have to really cook the dough though! I am also making a raw sour cream to go with these.  I have a raw food book that has a recipe for sour cream using cucumbers and sunflower seeds that I'm pretty stoked about.  I also need the sour cream for another recipe this week so win-win!  Here's a recipe that uses cashews if you'd like to try and make something as well.

I took this picture after I had already taken a few bites and realized how delish it was!


3.  Quinoa Salad Sandwiches.  I am so very excited about this recipe as well!  I loved chicken salad growing up and we no longer eat such things.  Normally, this is not a problem.  Not in the least.  Pregnant....big problem!  I want so many foods that I can't have and I'll never understand why pregnancy does that to you but I am so thankful for recipes like this!  I hope it's as delicious as it looks because I plan on this recipe getting me through a lot of barbecues this summer!  ;-) I will use the sour cream I mentioned earlier for the dairy sour in this recipe and vegan non-gmo mayo for the miracle whip. We haven't yet decided if we are going to make bread or just wrap it up in lettuce, probably the lettuce. 

4.  Penne with Artichokes.  Easy.  I like easy.  This is actually one of the recipes that is already complete and yes, it was good!  I nixed the parmesan and used g-free penne.

5.  Roasted Corn and Potato Chowder.  As soon as I saw the picture of this gorgeous soup on Pinterest, I had to give it a try!  We made this soup already as well and it is just as delicious as it looks if not more!  Of course, I could have made some kind of bread to go with it but I decided I was too tired and it worked out.  This is a very filling soup and the bread isn't necessary.  A lot of people have problems with corn because it can be difficult to digest if your intestines are inflamed and unless you get certified organic, it's also genetically modified and chemical laden.  We used to have a problem with corn but as our guts have healed and we've extracted most of the toxins from our bodies, we are able to have organic/non-gmo corn!  Which is wonderful because this soup is insane and I do love popcorn as well! ;-)  ~Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that I subbed coconut cream for the half and half and used unsweetened almond milk for the milk.  Worked great! 

6.  Baked Vegetarian Spring Rolls.  I love Chinese take-out but I can't have it so 'nuff said about this choice!  I am using the linked recipe but substituting rice wraps and playing with the filling a bit. 

7.  Waffles.  Sigh.  This is probably no surprise.  It seems we eat waffles or pancakes at least once a week for dinner but my family loves them and they always ask for them.  I shall oblige yet again. 

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment